Tips on how parents can get positively involved in their child’s homework
The question on the role of parents in homework given to students is a trendy one that has been with us and there are no traces that the argument will die too soon. What should be the role of parents in their child’s homework? Helping the child to do the homework is a negative approach which will be counter-productive at the end of the day. Does the parent have any positive role to play? The answer to that is a definite yes and we shall be going through ways by which parents can be of value to their kids while they are at the business of doing their assignment.
The basic steps
- Communicate regularly with the teacher of your kid
- Be with your ward at the start of the homework
- Set out a workable plan for the kid through the set up of realistic goals
- Ensure that you review work is done in school every day
- Set the rules with the support of your kid
- Discuss the strategies to be used with your kid
With the basic steps above, you are good to go in the desire to take the child through a process that will make doing the assignment very easy.
The Mistakes To Avoid
- You have to draw the lines in your involvement with the kid’s assignment. What you are about reading a subject of deep research which will work for any parent that applies it during the process of executing assignments for your kid.
- Do not convert the period of overseeing the assignment into a moment of regular arguments. It should be a period of tranquility for the kid. Do not bring in anxiety and fear for your kid at home after what they have gone through in school.
- Do not take the homework as a certain way of getting new knowledge by the child
- Never be tempted into practically getting involved in doing the homework for your kid. Doing the homework for your kid is a bad idea and you are telling your kid that it is normal to cheat in life aside from the fact that you are not helping the educational growth of the child.
- Do not entertain the complaints of your ward about the quality or quantity of homework offered to them. If you have question marks on the homework, it is best to have a one on one with the teacher involved. By so doing, you are respecting the professional ethics of the teacher and you will go all the length to help your kid because there is no way for them to avoid homework come what may.
- Homework cannot be done just anywhere or at any time point in time. Get a specific place that is comfortable where there will be no distractions for the kid to do their homework. It should be done at a specific time of the day.
The involvement of the parent in the task of completing homework for the kids should be in the form of an advisory role. The template as discussed above should be put in place and then the kid should be allowed to independently execute the homework with interference or inputs from the parent. And if a kid needs some additional psychology homework help, he or she has to be able to get it immediately in order to avoid studying stress.